The ruined temple

That’s what this rock formation reminded me of, but I’m not sure how else to photograph this. I can’t back up - I’m right up against the Eau Claire river and you can’t shoot it from the other side because that bank is a high cliff. I could try wading in, but there are trees on the immediate bank that would block the scene - this was taken from the trail.

So…I tried a couple different angles, trying to get the general formation and the trees growing on and around the rocks on the left. I like the more head on images versus the one from the side with the opening in the trees. This whole area has rock formations like this and even more dramatic ones, but they’re pretty tangled in undergrowth and without a chain saw it could be tough making a decent image. I’d like to try though and I think winter brings the most definition to the rocks (minimal undergrowth).

Specific Feedback Requested

Which version do you prefer and why? How else would you shoot it?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
All shots -
Panasonic Lumix G9
Lumix Vario G 12-35mm f2.8 @ 12mm (24mm equiv.) and 16 mm for third shot
handheld
ISO 200
1/40 sec, f5.6 and 6.3 for the open one
Exposed for snow
Processed in Lr to bring up details in the trees with minimal attention to color and white balance.

2 Likes

My personal favorite is the second version, Kristen. I think it has the best balance of the trees and the mound giving them equal billing. The processing looks spot on to me with great detail in the white of the snow.

I like these quite a bit. The first image is your best. It makes the statement cleanly and directly. I also like the third but less. The second image is like the first but further away. It’s message is more diluted imo.

I prefer the first image, and think the third image is the least strong. The first image, with it’s straight on view,looks more like a temple, and has a more distinct triangle shape to the mound capped by stones. If your goal was to tell a story about a temple of stone and snow, the first does it better. In the second image the extra amount of trees and foreground adds stuff that dilutes the look of a temple. The third image has a a somewhat awkward angle of view for me, and it introduces a lot of bald sky that doesn’t add much. In comparing these 3 images, I’m in the camp of less is more. However I think the processing looks great in all 3 images, I like how you were able to draw out the green color of the lichen on the stones and trees.

Wow, thanks guys. Interesting the varying opinions! The second might work better if I cropped it like the first. I was trying for that little ‘path’ down the center, but maybe the rest of the scene overwhelms it. Luckily this location is less than an hour drive and so worth the trip.

@Kris_Smith I agree with Ed and Igor. I like the 1st image the best. You fill the frame with your subject so it stands out more.

This is one of those images where you say “what’s the big deal?”. Just a bunch of trees with a pile of snow and scattered rocks. It doesn’t throw itself at you as some of the images that are now commented and that moderators will like. But that’s really why it is special. Most of life is not rainbows and bright colors. Recognizing beauty in the common is not something that everyone is capable of. What I’m trying to say is that this isn’t beautiful in the traditional sense but for those who understand, this is beautiful.

Kristen, I actually like the second image better. Ostensibly it appears chaotic but I think the height of the trees lends some balance not present in the first image. Yet there is something I really like about this image I cant put my finger on!

Hi Kristen, I have to agree with Mario, I like the second/middle image best too. It has a more vast circular depth to it. Partially because you can see the trees reaching up to the sky and more in the background. Also there is the big rock on the left which I feel is more pronounced because there are 2 rocks below it that are not in the top image. Which seems to complete the circle for me. The bottom image is neat with the path, can you get to the right of the big tree and capture the rocks from that angle? You probably already did. Looks like a fun place to explore!

That’s so kind of you to say. These types of scenes fascinate me and keep me going back to the woods over and over. Photographing them is difficult sometimes, but I keep trying.

I haven’t shot from that far over, but I can since it’s close. I was with a young girl at the time and while she wasn’t distracting because she loves nature and was having a good time, I couldn’t dawdle over every little thing too much. You know how it is. Your feedback is valuable though - thanks! I love how everyone sees everything differently.