The Starless Heart

Having fun with terrific new software, Starexterminator 2.0, A new star removal software that works with Pixinsight or Photoshop so you can get a nice look of the Gigantic clouds of gas in space.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any appreciated.

Technical Details

This is about 20 hours of imaging last spring on IC 1805 (Heart Nebula).
Processed in the Hubble palette (SHO) Sulphur (yellow) Hydrogen (red) Oxygen (blue) in Pixinsight.

1 Like

Very interesting view with stars removed and the Hubble palette. Quite a cosmic storm going on up there! The blue reads bizarrely like a sky behind splashing water, adding a cool element of abstraction!

I’m guessing in your climate that you must use dew heaters on your refractors. I assume they are not warm enough to cause any issues with thermal mixing, but just wondering if you’ve encountered any issues with the heat. It seems to be up to the user to determine the temp setting and I’m sure the lowest that does the job is the best, but it must be tedious to watch for any fogging. Do you just run them on the lowest setting and hope for the best?

Yes, dew heaters are a must most of the time. They work great. Mine have no setting, just plugs into the asiair and stays warm. A $50 item that is indispensable.

Interesting. I got a very basic one for my 100-500 that I will use with the 2X for now. It has 3 settings, with the lowest being just noticeably above body (or hand) temp. Experience will tell, I guess, and that will be limited by clear skies, time, and caution about our resident mountain lion.

Next piece of equipment needs to be a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Cool image Dan! I like that it’s a plug in for Photoshop. Did you use StarNet before this, and you’re liking this better for some reason(s)?

Thanks Mark,
Yes I was using starnet, Starexterminator is better, hardly any artifacts, very clean. Worth $59.

1 Like