The Swimming Hole

Along a lengthy dirt road in north central Arkansas can be found a multitude of waterfalls on a creek called Falling Water. This particular location is well known among the locals and is a favorite swimming hole during the warm summer months.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Open to all commentary!

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Love other viewpoints!

Any pertinent technical details: Nikon D610, 24-70 2.8 Lens, ISO100, f22, 5 sec. Edited in LR & PS

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Hi David,

What a great scene! I like your composition.

My only suggestion is to try burning down the tree on the left a touch. At the current luminous values it does pull my eye slightly from the wAterfall. Nothing major though

David,

What a beautiful capture of what looks to be an incredible location. The colors are wonderful and the aqua of the water contrasts beautifully with the autumn colors. I’m really enjoying the pano format here and despite the far shore slightly splitting the scene in half, I’m really enjoying the nicely balanced composition.

I can decide of the motion of the leaves up top is distracting or not. Obviously we can’t always control the conditions. In the end, they don’t spoil the scene for me.

It might be me, but this appears a little over sharpened. Mostly in the trunks on the left and the bg foliage. Otherwise, this is quite a splendid image.

Lon

This looks like a lovely location for some photography, David. I like the color palette with the aquamarine of the water contrasting with the warm tones of the autumn foliage. To bad about the leaf movement; did you happen to shoot any frames without that? If this is not to far it would be worth a revisit.

Lovely image, David. We have some wonderful spots like this in the Ozarks. What we lack in grand landscapes, we make up for in these intimate scenes. I agree with Ed regarding the leaf movement. I love the movement in the water but imagine it would be striking blended with a faster shutter speed for the foliage.

Cheers

Love this shot David. Love the colors, the flow of the water and the way my eyes go towards the waterfall. I must agree, however, with others here that the movement of the tree leaves is a bit distracting. Perhaps a bit faster shutter speed with freeze those darn leaves while still blurring the water… Just my two cents worth. Love it !

Noel

Thank you Nathan! I actually considered that action and honestly felt they helped bring the eye back through the image instead of getting trapped in the upper/right 2/3rds. Thanks for taking the time to give the feedback!!

Unfortunately I didn’t plan accordingly and don’t have access to a sharp image of the leaves but I agree with you that the image would likely be stronger without the leaf motion in this particular version. Also, yes this is over sharpened…

Didn’t think to capture a quicker shot…will definitely be back! Thanks for the feedback Ed!

Thanks for the feedback, Adam! Lesson definitely learned on blending in sections without motion to emphasize other elements!

Thanks for taking the time to respond Noel! Agreed on the leaves…

Beautiful colorful fall scene. The blurred leaves are certainly not an image killer but are a slight distraction. Maybe burn them down or desaturate them just a bit to put less emphasis there? Might be an interesting experiment, anyway. Real pretty scene.

Thanks Harley! The Desat/Burn suggestion is a good one!