The Throne Room

An area within the Apalachicola National Forest where the canopy from the very old Live Oak trees is so thick that nothing grows beneath. It’s also prone to flooding here so that also keeps growth down as well.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all, including composition, processing, ideas for improvement, etc.

Technical Details

Fuji GFX50s w/ 45-100 @ 45 mm
1/4 sec @ f/16 200 ISO Tripod

2 Likes

Lovely scene. I’m not sure the foreground adds much here. Maybe crop it all out? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Bill.

Beautiful light. I like the colour contrast between the greens and orange hues,

I agree with @Matt_Payne The branch in the foreground is acting like a barrier and stopping the flow into the image. You could try cropping it out and cloning out the tops of the branch.

If you double-click the image it will zoom in and you’ll get an idea of what I mean. You could try darkening your foreground and see if that helps

2 Likes

Hey Bill,

My main critique is also the foreground - I can see what you may have been going for, as the curve of the left side of the big log kind of mirrors the trees above, but I feel like it’s too prominent and too straight to get past. It just seems to distract from where I want to be in the image, on those background trees chock-full of character, and that wonderful dappled light piercing the canopy. I would suggest a crop, but I feel the easiest solution would simply be to raise the camera a bit higher and shoot the top 2/3 of the frame as its own composition.

But maybe that’s the obvious shot, and you were trying to do something different here, which is commendable. I just don’t think it quite works in this case.

Processing looks very nice otherwise - maybe you made some other compositions of this beautiful subject? I hope this helps, and it was good to see a familiar name pop up.

1 Like

Many thanks, Alex! Take care!