The Witches Broom

I went back and redid the image using some of the suggestions given below.

Original image:

The image shows a Bald Eagle with a branch it just cleaved off from the nearby tree. This image was originally shot as a horizontal as I was following the action but I cropped it into a vertical.

Specific Feedback Requested

The harsh midday lighting necessitated that I overexpose a bit so that there is still some detail underneath the eagle but this inevitably led to some clipped highlights on the trees. Not much that i can do about that but I wonder how distracting that is.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1Dx
Canon 200-400 with internal x1.4TC

1 Like

I like the composition/crop choice in this semi-minimalist scene.

To me the difference in the dark tones—seeing details in the darker areas of the tree trunks but pitch black for the eagle—is a little jarring. I’d think they’d play off each other better if the shadows could be brought up in the eagle.

1 Like

I really like the action and setting here. I like the crop/composition and think the conversion to B/W works well both the extreme tonal range and for the very minimalist composition. I don’t remember what you’ve said in the past about your processing, but I’m curious if you tried to tame the tonal range a bit with a linear profile and the tonal sliders in a raw converter?

1 Like

I like the caption! I like the comp and setting. Nice look at the eagle coming towards you. I would agree with Diane and Max’s comments.

1 Like

Agree with technical comments. I’m just wondering what it’s doing with the branch. Was this taken at nest building time? Or fall remodeling?

1 Like

Hi Dvir
This is an interesting photograph. The only thing I would add to the comments, is cropping up one third from the lower frame would give the Eagle more of an impact.
Peter

Nice capture, Dvir. One idea could be to make it more high key, I made a quick try:

Thank you for the reply Max.

I went ahead re-edited the image this time going for a less high-key look and I think now you can see a lot more detail underneath the eagles wing.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply Diane! I went ahead and re-edited the image with a linear profile (in Capture One) that helped extract a bit more detail in the highlights (Though inevitably the part of the tree that was getting the brunt of the sunlight remains burnt.

Thank you for the reply Allen! I am glad you like the caption.

Thank you for the reply Mike! It was taken during the Fall season so I imagine some nest remodeling in anticipation for the breeding season.

1 Like

It’s a strong composition with any of the treatments.

1 Like

Thank you Diane. I went with a very different look with the second edit.

Does anybody else see some posterization in the newer edit? I don’t see it in photoshop but when I post it I see it which I imagine is due to the Jpeg conversion.