Baldy on a Branch

I got this pose down on our nearby lake of one of the adult bald eagles that nest there every year. I never tire of shooting them.

Specific Feedback Requested

Cropping? Anything?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, hand held, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 1050mm, ISO 1100, cropped to 2104 x 2324, Photo AI.

3 Likes

I like the composition and the details in the back feathers and the tree are beautiful. I find the white of the head too bright and lacking texture which is something that I find very hard to avoid in photographing bald eagles. I am experimenting with using exposure compensation to see if that helps my shots.

Nice perch, pose and head turn. The head may be a bit bright but with the obvious bright daylight I don’t see it as a major flaw. I do wonder about toning down the saturation of the sky a bit, and wonder if that indicates that the raw processing might be dialed down a bit in contrast, which might pull out a tiny bit more white detail.

@Robena.Sirett, exposure compensation should be a consideration with any shot – by that I mean making whatever compensation or correction it takes to get a proper exposure. If an overall scene is “average” brightness, you could rely on auto-exposure and then consider if compensation is needed, especially for highlights. But the needed compensation will vary with the average exposure of a scene. (Or the average exposure of the area covered by the exposure meter.) If your camera is a mirrorless with a live view histogram or live blinkies, you have a guide, but of course it comes from an on-the-fly in-camera JPEG, which is influenced by the camera picture settings. It’s important not to blow out highlights beyond where they can be recovered in a raw processor. With the NR these days, darks are more recoverable than in the past century. And there is always exposure bracketing if the subject is still enough. The software for that is amazing these days, too.

1 Like

Hi Dave, a fine catch of the eagle with an interesting pose. I agree on trying to slightly tone down the white on the head and squeeze out just a wee bit more detail . Nice image.