Bald Eagle in a Pine

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any/All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any/All

Any pertinent technical details: I got this shot at our local lake of a resident Bald Eagle using may D500, 2-500mm, 1/2500th, f/7…1, 500mm, ISO 2000, hand held, cropped to 2271 x 2473.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice position in the frame and a cool landing pose, Dave. It looks like the detail in the plumage is pretty good, though still suffering a bit from the fairly large crop. Some of the whites in the head look a bit blown which is hard to avoid on these birds. The best way I know, particularly on what looks to have been a sunny day, is to use manual exposure and do occasional test shots of something white that’s in the sun to make sure they’re not overexposed.

Hi Dave,
A nice pose you captured and I agree with Dennis’ comments. I’ll add that I find it helpful to have some go to settings in manual mode for certain situations. For birds with a lot of white in sun, I’ll start at ISO 400, f7.1, 1/3200s. That usually gives me a good exposure on the whites knowing I will have to raise shadows some in post processing. For adjusting exposure from there in the field, I’ll use the camera’s highlight alerts (blinkies) to make sure I’m not blowing anything out in the image. That’s assuming the subject is present for this kind of checking or something of similar color.

1 Like

Dave, I only wish that I could get an opportunity like this! You took good advantage of this opportunity and I think the image has a lot going for it. Nice pose and placement in the frame. The image isn’t all cluttered making the subject jump out. For ISO 2000, I’d have expected a lot of noise which my old eyes don’t detect. IMHO, I wish I had a photo like this under my belt!