Throne at Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Enough drama?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Sometimes called the Valley of Dreams, the Ah-shi-sle-pah Wilderness Study Area is located a little north of Chaco Culture National Historical Park in northwestern New Mexico. It is a badland area of rolling water-carved clay hills. The area is rich in fossils and spectacular geological formations making it perfect for hiking and landscape photography!
This awesome formation, known by a few names—Chaco Throne, Alien Throne, Chaco Alter—was captured during sunset. It is a hoodoo. Its columns and connections, don’t quite make sense. Its openings are irregular, its presence imposing and odd, even among several odd, imposing sights.
I made this photograph when the sun was setting, the globe just falling below the horizon.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5 D IV; Canon EF 28-70mm @ 50mm, f/16 @ 1/40 sec, +.067 EV, ISO 400; Gitzo tripod. RRS BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback, positive or negative.

It looks like a man made ruin to me. It’s amazing that this was created naturally.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov for your comments. That area is rich in distorted formations. Water, wind and sand erosive forces are fascinating.

I love the pastel sky background!

Thank you @Bill_Pelzmann for your kind remarks. The best light doesn’t last long in the desert in January so it is best to be well prepared.

1 Like

Made me think of Star Trek TNG, just expecting Data to emerge. Truly bautiful photograph, I really like the other worldly color palette of this image.

Thank you @Tomas_Frydrych for your kind remarks. There is much more to see in this area that it would require multiple days to explore and photograph in favorable light.