Through a Glass Darkly

This may be my favorite of my own photographs for this year – an example of an experiment gone right. I was sitting in the back seat, driving with a couple of friends for a getaway up north. It was getting on sundown and as we drove, we hit a thunderstorm with an intensity that felt either like the beginning of time or the end of it. Since I was sitting there with nothing to do, I pulled out my camera and, through the closed, side window, started photographing the incredible sky. But I also took some images, like this one, that included the side of the highway. The dream-like, post-apocalyptic darkness of this image seems to fit so much with what it feels like for me being in the world these days. Maybe my camera allows me to look through a glass darkly – to glimpse out of the corner of my third eye what I fear to look at head on. The world seen this way is in equal parts beautiful and ominous.
From a technical perspective, I’m intrigued by the ghostly quality of the trees and skyline due to the combination of camera shake and the moving car. To me it gives the image the luminous quality of a water colour painting.
As always, your impressions and feedback of any sort are always welcome and appreciated.

Is this a composite: No

3 Likes

Ah, rushing towards the apocalypse. This certainly has that sort of mood. The warmth of the last light isn’t even that warm, and this feels like we’re rushing away from it anyway.

Presentation-wise, I’m finding the brownish frame to be a distraction from the photo.

@Bonnie_Lampley - Better, I hope (see above)

1 Like

An appropriately ominous image to summarize the times. The motion blur is a great foil to the glowering sky – even the trees are running away! I can see why it’s a favorite!

I like this image a lot. I think it conveys it’s purpose really well. It’s ominous and the starkness of the land together with that threatening sky bring a lot of emotion. In my opinion the sense would have been just as strong if the trees were sharp rather than blurry. The black frame adds to the mood in this case. I can’t imagine this on a light background.

@Bonnie_Lampley , @Diane_Miller , @Igor_Doncov - Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment. Much appreciated.