Through the Canyon

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A mostly overcast day let the colors in the canyon walls as well as the details show well in this view into the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

Technical Details

R5, 24-105 @ 85, 1/80 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod

1 Like

Hi Mark - I really like the reds along the left side of the canyon and the variety of textures and colors along the canyon walls. I also like your composition with the river making kind of a zig-zag pattern across the frame. Beautiful image!

Mark, I’ve often found that section of the canyon difficult to photograph. You showed me the wat to do it. I like the color tones, and especially, the river and its curves. The canyon sidewalls gained a new life with the touch of dark orange on the left bank leading our eyes to the river. Very nicely done and edited.

Mark, I really like this. When we were there back in the summer of 2013, I think I took a photo in close to the same proximity, but we didn’t have the water that you have here. I like your photo much better than I remember mine being. :grinning:

Mark,

I pretty much like everything about this and ditto to previous comments. Colors/sat/contrast and processing in general appear spot on - even though I wasn’t there. :slight_smile:

Interesting, (almost an irrelevant observation) but in the thumbnail view of the post, the composition and flow made me assume the river was flowing top to bottom… but as soon as I opened the larger view I saw the truth. Interesting, maybe not.

Regardless of the flow direction of the river, the composition and framing is excellent. There is interest edge to edge, corner to corner with the white water in the river pretty much anchoring the stream.

Great job isolating and capturing this scene.