Thundering Fury II

Same falls. Different perspective.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What are peoples thoughts on the color balance of this image? Any other comments also welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 5DM4. ISO 500 f/22 at 1/125 sec 20 mm

Image blended from 2 shots for foreground and the sky/water.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

John,

Wow, this one is just as awesome as your previous version. I may like this one even better - but they’re both great. The power and volume of the falls is showcased beautifully here and I think your composition is spot on.

Oh, to your question, I think the color balance is excellent too. No nits or suggestions.

Lon

ps. I’m guessing this was quite loud…

Oh wow. Even though I like both this composition and the previous one, I like this slightly more, John. I think it has a greater emphasis on the roaring falls. No nits from me either.

Another thundering beauty, John, I think more powerful than the first. Color looks fine, the fresh yellow pine growth seem natural to my eye. One of the first elements that caught my eye was the Pine tree on the right side…that black tip in the sky pulls me away or detracts from the tremendous drama at the top of the falls. You could consider cropping the whole tree top to bottom. I think it would tighten the image and if possible put even more emphasis on the energy and action of the falls. I think the tall firs climbing into the gray sky make a great background and are well spaced along the top of the frame. The far bank below them provides a nice comp line down and into back side of the falls. Nice work…it looks like it was a great day in the wilds for you.

Lon, Ashoka, and Stephen. Thanks so much for your suggestions. I don’t know why I have an aversion to cropping an image especially if it is out of the 2X3 ratio but I agree with you that the tree on the right is a little distracting and the image does look better without the tip poking up into the sky. Thanks again for spending time to give great suggestions.

This is a great example on how effective is a foreground that’s also a frame. The fg gives a sense of perspective and suggests that someone is viewing this, that there is a presence of someone. I also am enjoying the shutter speed that shows its fury rather than a veil. The only suggestion is to add contrast to the rock face center left even though a mist is likely responsible for that flat look.