To love like a mother

This is experimental for me in many ways so I would really appreciate any feedback.

This great horned owl nest has three owlets this year: One big happy family. Mom just came home with a fresh mouse and fed the babies. She then went on preening the kids when I captured this. The best place to shoot this nest is from behind some small trees. I tried shooting through the leaves to create something interesting.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Adhika, the action and setting are great. How exciting to be able to watch this nest. My personal reaction is that I’d like to see more contrast, which contrasts (pun deliberate, :grin: ) with your choice. However, I strongly encourage you to experiment and decide what you like, that’s how you develop a personal style. This looks like a shooting challenge, you working hard at not disturbing the owls and the bright sky behind the nest.

1 Like

I pretty much agree with all Mark said. More contrast would work better for me with this type of scene. I find the bird is the star of the show, but is a little lost in the scene. I also might add some blur to the background trees?

1 Like

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver and @Harley_Goldman! This is good. I really appreciate to hear what works and what doesn’t work here. I do have other frames which are not shot through the leaves. :slight_smile:

Good call to blur the BG, Harley!

This is really nice, Adhika. I love the interaction between the mother and chick. and your composition is excellent, though I think you could crop it just a tiny bit tighter to help minimize the bright sky above the owls. Shooting through the leaves creates an interesting “foggy” effect which I like to some extent, though you might play with defogging the main subjects a bit to see if you like that even better.

1 Like

Thanks, Dennis! I played with defogging the subject a little bit but it looks a little weird given how the arrangement of the leaves is supposed to mimic the effect of a lens flare of some sort. I will post some other shots from this nest which were shot in a more classic way. Still can’t do too much about the bright sky though :frowning:

Adhika, great interaction in this heart warming scene…:+1:

Like others I could buy in on more contrast to bring out more of the owls. Another thought, although I’ve not used it much, is the NIK software has a graduated ND filter that maybe of help here too. Again, I’m only aware of that item and have not used it at much in the past.
I’m sure added contrast will be of help here. The added blur Harley mentions too.