Mom returns.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I believe this is the same mother owl that has occupied this nesting area for several years, even though owls usually do not use the same nest from year-to-year. I have posted photos of Mom and babies in previous years. She returned a bit early this year, and has already weathered high winds, rain and snow but the location and sturdiness (solid rock) of the nest helps a lot.

Specific Feedback

Any comments.

Technical Details

7DMKII; 100/400@100; 8.0; 1600ISO; spot; WB: cloudy. HH; Sharpened a little; slight dehaze. Straightened.

1 Like

The scale of the rock face is impressive and the owl’s nest is a great added touch Jim. Love the story that goes with this. Our local mother owl has returned after a two year hiatus, but I’m wondering if it isn’t actually one of the original mother’s earlier brood. She is nesting in a palm tree that has been swaying in the wind. I think your owl has made a better choice.

Ed, She has made a great choice about her home structure and location regarding its location on the rock face, but there is one significant downside; it is located along a now busy road. When the owlets leave (fall out?) they fall into a bar ditch or fly over the road. I have never seen a dead one on the road or in the area, so Mom must teach them well.

Jim, you’ve got great details in the rocks face. The owl and her nest is a fine surprise…quite the choice for a nest site.

Thank you.

Jim, what a great nesting site they found! Our Eurasian Eagle-owls do tend to return to the same site in successive years if it remains pretty undisturbed. Like your different species here, they sometimes even nest near a road - or more importantly farmland which can yield lots of prey. Our Scops owl has high mortality on roads, so maybe this all depends on the species. Anyhow, your composition is very suitable here to my eye, and I love the contrast of dark lair and pale rock face.

Mike, Thanks. I think “undisturbed” is a big factor in determining whether they return.

1 Like