Mama Owl Taking a Much Needed Rest

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Went back at sun up this morning, this time with the 1.4 extender and my monopod. Normally she wouldn’t be facing the sun but a haze was just above the horizon, so I guess it wasn’t too bright.

Specific Feedback

Anything goes.

Technical Details

Nikon Z8, 100-400 w/1.4 Tele-Extender @ 560mm, f/8, 1/160, ISO 640, +.33 EV

Processed in ACR, Photoshop and TK9 Combo

1 Like

Nice image, Chris. I like the composition a lot. The hint of the nest on the right balances it well. without being distracting. I like the backlit edges on the bird and perch though you might try to shift them to a slightly cooler tone as the yellow is just a bit overpowering, though I know it can be that way in the early morning and could well be accurate.

Thanks Dennis. Right above the horizon there was a low lying mist - that lingered…of course. I did separate the owl from the BG and tried several different warming and cooling adjustments, but the warm side seemed to fit better with the highlights in the feathers.

Hi Chris, really nice look at the plumage on this owl with a visible eye. A fine look at the bird without distractions. I’m fine with the warm light. Nice frame.

1 Like

Nice over the shoulder pose. Good detail and I like the light on the owl.

1 Like

I really love the golden highlights Chris, just enough without overpowering the image. The feather details are excellent and this has a great perch for her to watch the nest.

Thanks, Ed. Just managed to get a couple of frames in before I lost the light.