Top of the Staircase

Sunrise at Bryce Canyon National Park from last April.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

The hoodoo on the lower left has always bothered me a bit. How do you feel about it?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single Exposure. Sony A7R. 70-200mm Canon lens.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Richard, This is a cool shot. Love the layers and the mist. Lovely and moody.

I assume you are talking about the Hoodoo on the bottom left edge? If so, then yes I would clone/crop it out as it just pulls the eye. There are a few smaller ones on the right near your signature that are catching too. Although they are less of an issue to me. On a cropping/compsitional note, I think the top of the image could have done with a little more space. Just to give the trees a bit of room to breathe. If your personal ethics allow it, you could add a bit in PS.

Overall the image has a feeling of being too warm. Especially in the shadows. As a result you are losing a bit contrast between the warm fog and hoodoos and the upper cliffs. I would suggest starting at more neutral WB and then add some WB adjustments locally. You could even try using the split toning in LR. Blues for the shadows - you’ll pick up the greys in the rocks a bit more and oranges yellows for the highlights. I think that should make the shot a bit more dynamic and also intruduce some depth.

Eugene

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @Eugene_Theron. That’s a good idea regarding color balance. I should try cooling off the shadows and see what happens.

1 Like