Travel

Ronny, Thanks for your excellent image and information about the Andalsnes area.
And, welcome to NPN. I appreciate your reaching out to me with this information.
I hope you will be posting other images too; I am eager to continue our exchange.
Your image is well composed and fills the frame well without distractions. The spot of light in the middle of the reflection really spotlights the image.
And, the mountain on the right reaches the eye toward the sky with its excellent varied lighting and color. Superb image - a wonderful first post on NPN.

Ola, one more question: What is the e-mail address for Polar Lights Photo Tours? There does not seem to be one on their website. Thanks.

Here is their e-mail address: post@polarlightsphototours.com
In addition to scheduled tours Lena and Vivian also do 1 to 1 day tours. When I asked the price was EUR 300 (appr. USD 330). If you contact them I would appreciate if you say hello from me.

Thank you for the comment on the image. Innerdalen is really beautiful, and relatively easy to walk into, unless you want to walk up into the mountains. Then it’s a bit more effort. :slight_smile:

In Åndalsnes you will have many options for hikes and photography. Some great landscapes can be photographed from a car park, while others will neeed to be hiked into.

This image was taken from Litlefjellet in Åndalsnes. The peak to the left is Romsdalshorn, and the opening scenes in the Netflix movie Troll was filmed there. :troll:

1 Like

Hi Ola, Thanks so much. I have e-mailed them for options in September - October 2024. Nothing is set up yet, for a trip. For me this would be a real highlight, and I thank you. I would love to have your e-mail address, so we can communicate aside from NPN. Mine is lgreenbaum2@gmail.com

I will let Lena and Vivian know you said hi.

Hi Larry,
Sorry for a late response, but here is my e-mail address: olajov@outlook.com

Thanks, Ola. Larry

So we also have a Norway trip planned for 2024. In mid-April. We have a travel agent working with us and I think we’re going for a week in the Sunnmøre Region Ålesund & Geiranger. There are some days on our own with suggested activities and roads to drive, spots to see and some days with local guides for hiking, a private fjord cruise, and other outdoor things. We’re staying in a couple of hotels until the night before our flight out to Amsterdam and then back to the States. One is in Øye and the other is in Skodje. If anyone has experience in these areas and has any suggestions for “must see” places that don’t require 12 hours in the car, fire away!

Oh, I see that the location @RonnyNilsen mentioned is sort of near where we will be and could be worked into our itinerary, roads allowing.

Hir Kris, Your trip sounds terrific. We have not finalized our trip yet. Who is your travel agent? We want to see arctic Norway in September/October , so Tromso and the Lofoten Islands may be on our future itinerary. The Polar Lights Tours mentioned by @Ola_Jovall sound good. I saw the images he made on his tour, and they are impressive. We’ve done some research online and in guidebooks. Norway appears to be a nature photographer’s paradise.

Thanks for your information.

Hi @Kris_Smith, I have not been in this region myself but I know from a bird photographer friend that the island Runde is a very good place during some parts of the year (e.g. puffins).

1 Like

Whoops, I can see I was remiss in answering questions here. My trip is 2 weeks from tomorrow for our leave day and I’m looking forward to seeing a new place with a new camera, but luckily not with a new husband. Just the same old one I know and love. Looking at the weather it has been sort of parallel to what we’ve been experiencing in Wisconsin, but I’ll keep an eye on it.

1 Like

Comments like this is what I love about your posts.

Well color me surprised. That was a very nice thing to say. And yeah, the old hubby is still the best. Glad we chose so wisely.

Tested some old memory cards in the new camera today, just to be sure nothing strange would happen. I think shooting video at very high frame rates is off the table with older cards, but stills should be fine. One of my old 64gb SanDisk cards started to fall apart in my fingers (the little lock slider thing fell out) so I got a couple newer cards for use in Norway and probably other times as well. Since I’m not bringing my laptop, having multiple cards will be my way to redundancy. I’ll set up in camera to write to both cards and then I’ll switch cards daily or so. Planning to use a single card for the back up and rotating four more as the primary cards. Anyone ever do that? How did it work out for you?

I am sure that you will have a great time in Norway, the nature is just amazing with a lot of photo opportunities! It would be great if you could share some experiences after your travel.

At my latest trip to Tromsö this February I did exacly what you described regarding using memory cards as back-up. It worked great.

Thanks @Ola_Jovall - I hope I can form some kind of narrative around it other than “oh look, tourists”. Glad the memory card thing worked. I will have 6 with me and so that should be fine - 2 128s, 3 64s and 1 32.

I just saw this post, Kris. By now you are likely in Norway or returning home. I’m sure the trip was great and look forward to seeing some of your images.

Thanks! I am indeed in Norway- Oye to be exact. This is our 2nd full day.