Trees In The Field

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Without the trees this photograph would not have been as impactful.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is an infrared image from the Palouse. To me the trees definitely provide not only a sense of scale of this field but also serve as kind of an oasis among the dramatically rolling hills and sky. One of the things I like best about IR images is the ability to severely darken the skies while providing sharp contrasting clouds. I think this really adds to the drama of the scene especially with the presence of white foliage, in this case the crop in the field.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS RP with Full Spectrum Conversion and 590 nm Super Color Infrared Filter.
Lens: RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM @ 53.0 mm, f/4.0 for 1/4000 sec. ISO 400. Edited with Photoshop & Nik CEP 5.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments welcomed.

1 Like

I agree. They are essential to the image because they provide a point of interest. Without them, it would be a study of shapes, light, and textures without any apparent reason for choosing this particular view. I do find the large cloud at the top very overpowering. I think it would improve the composition if most of the white were cropped leaving the darkened portion and just a suggestion of the white. I also believe this is a beautiful subject for B&W. The trees might lose their significance if it were in color.

So I see this is infrared. Interesting. As you say, it is a perfect subject.

Thank you for your observations, Barbara. I did try the crop you suggested, but purely personal I liked this one better. Bob

This site is all about trying and deciding what works for each of us.

Yes it is.

Robert, I like the dreamy impressions the clouds and the fields make in this. This is a nice submission for this week’s challenge with the trees way out there in the fields.

Thank you very much Ed for those kind words. Bob

Wow, what a sky. The dramatic clouds and undulating hills provide repetition, while the trees provide focus. The bnw is a classic look.

Thank you for the kind words, Laura. I think that the darkening of the sky and the increase of the clouds’ highlights really creates the drama I was looking to create here. Thank you again. Bob