Tripod for Back Packing and traveling

Hi all,

I’m looking into buying a new tripod. My main features are having a center column and that the tripod weights around 3ish pounds.
Right now I have three different ones that I looking into:

1. Feisol CT-3441
  2. Benro Travel Angel
  3. Three Legged Thing Billy

Do any of you have experience with any of this tripods? Any other tripod recommendations? Any input is appreciated.

I backpack with a Gitzo Traveler carbon fibre. It weighs about 1.5 kg but is solid enough to produce sharp results for really long exposures. eg 5 minutes long. It’s also been battered by a lot of saltwater and is still going strong.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

I have the Feisol CT-3441T which is the tall version, I’ve abused it for years and it’s been a great tripod paired with a BH-30

1 Like

Induro CLT104

It doesn’t fold like a travel pod, but I can fit it inside of a Pelican 1510 carry on without the center column in; it also weighs 2.9 lbs

I use it fairly successfully with a d850, 14-24 and filter on a Arca-Swiss Monoball. It’s almost not wide enough of a stance, but you can throw a pack on it to weigh it down or widen the legs.

Big Induro fan here. Also - the paint started to chip weird on the spider of another Induro and they mailed me a brand new one within a week!

1 Like

Same here on the small Gitzos.

We travel a lot with a pair of their GT0542 Mountaineer Series 0 and like them so much we often use them with bigger tripods laying right beside them in the truck. With the diminutive RRS BH-30 ball head, they still weigh next to nothing yet give steady support and very smooth motions to surprising loads. I regularly use mine with my Nikon 200-500mm/Nikon D7200 on the road or my Nikon 500 f/4 at home, if that tells you anything!

Best of all for travel, if you remove the head and “flip” the legs, they’re amazingly short. The 0542 weighs only 2.4# and collapses to 18.9" and the BH-30 is around 11 oz, depending on your choice of clamps. (I prefer the lever, while my wife prefers her standard screw lock) The combo has a 17# load rating, yet together barely tops 3#.

1 Like