Recommend a Tripod Please

Hi everyone. It’s been a loooong time since I’ve been on here. I’m retiring at the end of the year and hope to get back into photography. I need a new tripod. I want one that’s lightweight, easy to change around, and doesn’t break the bank. I love macro photography so would like one that can be set low to the ground as well as higher for landscapes. I don’t do much wildlife or people. Recommendations please!! Thanks so much!!

Welcome aboard Alice! Lots of great folks here, so you have lots to look forward to in your retirement and resumption of photography.

If you want quality without breaking the bank I’d sure give careful thought to the Benro lineup. With a house full (or to be honest only 5 ) of Gitzos, I just this morning ordered a Benro to meet some special needs. I didn’t want to invest $1k for a Gitzo for the sometimes need, so I followed lots of recommendations here for Benro. It appears that some of the models will be ideally suited for your macro needs, and depending on material and leg locks, even a range of prices in those. I’m taking it on faith that the recommendations were sound, because every other recommendation I’ve had from NPN has been that way. You might try the search function and find other threads on Benro.

This is what I usually recommend for anyone that’s looking to save some money but still wants a quality product.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1157837-REG/benro_fta28cv1_travel_angel_9x_carbon.html

I would also consider Feisol and Induro. You might want to tell us what your budget it is too, that can help narrow it down.

Alice: Great to have you back aboard. My first carbon fiber tripod was by 3 Legged Thing. It was pretty early in their development and I did return my first one when the pin securing the center post to the head plate failed. I think my issue stimulated them to revise the design and the replacement has worked flawlessly. Several of their models allow you to remove a leg and use it as a monopod which I find occasionally useful. I’m 6’4" so I needed a tall model and they fit the bill. I’ve since graduated to a RRS TVC-34L which is not light and not cheap but is incredibly strong and stable. I use it around the house and when I’m close to the car but I still use the much lighter 3 Legged Thing when I strap on a back pack it still performs admirably.