Tulip Tree Blossom #2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a 16x20 canvas print that hangs in our house, from a film capture in 2003. I love the almost-camouflaged flowers on these trees (Tulip Poplar) and had spotted a likely tree where I could steal some inconspicuous branches. I managed to do that, with a jar of water secured in the car, and got one home before it wilted too much. I’ve been trying to do better ever since and haven’t succeeded. (But at least haven’t been caught, either…)

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Undocumented film capture, but probably Provia – a scan converted to B/W in PS. Might have been done with a 6x7 Mamiya RZ-67. Images on hard drives were the first thing grabbed when the 2017 Tubbs Fire was bearing down (with very little warning), but film archives were lost.

5 Likes

Diane, this is another gem. The translucid impression you created with the B&W edit is superb. I also like the textures. I’m glad you did not lose this image during the fire. I am not very keen on the frame used here, but that does not really matter or detract from the beauty of the image.

Thanks, @Egídio! I was going through a phase of loving this kind of frame when I processed the original image in 2003, and that is what is on the wall. But I do have a version with a much simpler frame, and it is on a layer which can be turned off on the master file. (As can the original one.) I haven’t been doing these frames for a while and today I would probably use this simpler version.

1 Like

Diane, what a difference that is to my eyes. This is simply stunning!