Undergrowth

I was attracted to the sheen this ubiquitous plant has in the Cascade forests of Oregon. Originally shot in color I converted this to b&w to emphasize the shininess in the overall darkness. This was processed with the Nik software using one of their profiles. What do you think? Does any other well known image come to mind? I wasn’t able to key out this plant.

Canon 6D, 24-105@40mm, iso100, 0.8 sec, f/18, tripod,

2 Likes

This is very beautiful, Igor. And yes, it reminds me of an A. Adams image that is in my wall calendar as I write this :wink:

1 Like

Igor, very well done and off course the classic of Mr. Adams comes to mind! The shininess as presented in just right.

It’s nice to see an intimate B&W scene offered here!

Beautifully seen, beautifully processed, Igor. I am also a fan of using Nik Silver Efex to do B&W conversion sometimes even ending up with a double conversion using a different method and then blended. The shininess works really well here to give that tonal richness. I would probably clean up the lower left corner edge with that single leaf, but that is really nitpicking.

FYI, it’s a Mahonia nervosa - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahonia_nervosa

This is really nice Igor. I love the metallic sheen of the leaves, and they are set off so nicely by those deep, rich shadows. The leaves in the URC are a very nice touch, and balance out the comp very well. I love this mash-up of “Eliot Porter meets Ansel Adams”.

Igor, this is a fine look at this plant. The range of tonality looks very good and there’s such a fine glow on most of the leaves. Given the brightness of the rest of the leaves, I wonder about bringing up the brightness of that one frond arching towards the upper left corner.

Oh I like this Igor! Wonderful BW!