Unity

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What do you think is and isn’t working in this image? What kind of (if any) emotion does it evoke in you? Do you spot any obvious flaws or scope of improvement in the photos in terms of either editing or composition?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I made this image in Antelope Canyon (X). I saw a tree standing in front of the rugged, red rock formations. The way the scene was laid out it was difficult to tell how the tree and its branches were sort of blending into the background because of similar tones, textures and hues. Hence the title unity.

Hello, Abbas, and welcome to NPN! This is beautiful, it looks like a tree set in marble. My personal preference would be to remove the pale patch in the upper left, but this could also be seen as a beauty spot. I find this very relaxing, and would enjoy it very large on a wall, without a frame.

1 Like

This is wonderful, Abbas! I stared at the larger version for a long time trying to figure out if it was a double exposure or layered composite, or “real”. Wonderful seeing and presentation!

Welcome to NPN! I look forward to more of your images and your participation!

2 Likes

I see, I will take a closer look at that spot. Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words.

Thanks for noticing my image and providing your feedback. Yes, it’s a single exposure image taken handheld. It presented the same dichotomy to me when I was witnessing the scene in person.

I am excited to see and share more nature art work here.

Welcome to NPN Abbas! This is an outstanding introductory image! This tells the story of impermanence. It feels as is if the tree is returning to its origin. It’s being reabsorbed into the landscape. This image has a great sense of mystery. It presents a visual paradox and a deceptive space. It’s a wonderful abstract due to the intrigue.

My only preference is for a less tall vertical crop. A 4x5 crop may help focus the eye more on the central area.

2 Likes

thanks so much for your kind words and the feedback. I will experiment with a 4x5 crop.