Thicket

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m primarily interested in initial reactions. Is it interesting?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This was shot by a stream. I recall being struck by how chaotic the trees here were.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 101 mm, f/11, .3 sec.

Specific Feedback

This: “Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.”

Very interesting!! And very enjoyable! I’m peering into it deeply to enjoy the fact that it is busy yet soft. It appears to be a double exposure yet a very subtle one, and that engages my attention.

My only thought might be to desaturate the one green trunk – it stands out a bit. But that’s a small nit.

I like this, Don. Yes, it’s busy, but I think that’s the feeling you’re trying to convey. A thicket that isn’t busy isn’t a thicket. The tones and lighting are beautiful and it’s open enough to draw my eye into it.

Diane, Dennis, thank you both. I agree about reducing the saturation on that tree trunk.

Don, this shows the beautiful chaos of nature really well. I find the image interesting due to the complexity and depth.

Thanks, Alfredo.