Above and below

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was looking for shots that showed both the detritus at the bottom of the stream and the reflections above. Since I’ve posted a number of composites recently, I should mention that this is a single exposure.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback would be welcome. There are no sharp contrasts with this kind of subject matter. I think I’ve taken the tonal range about as far as it will go.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 72mm, f/16, 1 second.

An interesting image, Don. The angle of the light worked well for getting both the underwater elements and the trees complementing one another in the image. It almost looks like shadows rather than reflections. I don’t know what it looked like in color, but I suspect the B&W did a nice job of simplifying the image and keeping it from appearing as a disorganized mishmash. When I was writing this the text box covered part of the image and it looks like you could have two very nice sub-images out of this: one with the bottom 40% and one with the top half. Those tow areas have significantly different tonalities and seem to stand alone nicely.

Thanks for the critique, Dennis. The color version looked like this.

I go back and forth as to which I prefer. I’m not crazy about the colors but the color version may do a better job of separating the reflections and the bottom of the stream.

I see what you mean about subdividing the image but I think I prefer it as is.

Don, I prefer the black and white version. I find the yellows in the color version distracting. I thought for sure this was a multiple exposure image! Very cool to see the original. The tree reflections make this an impactful image to me. I also prefer the framing you shared vs splitting the the image into parts. Well seen Don.

1 Like

Alfredo, I like both versions for different reasons.

Lately I’ve been producing a lot of photos that could have been done as in-camera multiple exposures. I have a lot more control over the end result when I combine the images with Photoshop. As I said, though, this was a single image.

I meant to comment here and got distracted – I LOVE this!!! The B/W definitely works for me, It is nature’s double exposure – gorgeous! I wouldn’t change a thing! (Did I just say that??)

Beautiful Image. I love reflection style photography. Great tone and a softness that i really like.

Diane, Gill, thanks for your comments. I’m glad you like it. :slight_smile: