Universal

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

General impressions are welcome!

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Seeing the world in the surface of the pond…

Technical Details

Canon 5DmkIII IR 720nm
Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8
f/16, 1/60th, iso 100

3 image shifted pano
Tripod

ACR/PS/Silver Efex

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Very nice! I love the layers of detail in the reflection. I feel that I’d like more detail in the bright water lily leaves. The brightest reflection near the center pulls my eye a bit and I wonder about making it darker. But all in all, I think this is a wonderful find and presentation!

1 Like

Excellent intimate landscape. I too feel the brightest tree in the middle of the image captures too much attention, may you try to darken it and seee how it looks?

1 Like

My initial reaction is Tarkovsky. This is like something he would create a scene around. It’s mysterious, as in multiple worlds of awareness. I also get a sense of movement. Maybe that’s because I get the feeling that the water was moving and you froze it in time. Excellent work in my opinion.

1 Like

Guy,

Dizzying is my initial reaction. It takes a minute or two to orient one’s eyes to what is going on. Once that happens, the reflection’s depth is fabulous. I feel like the floating leaves need to be dodged in an attempt to regain some of their details.

1 Like

@guy this is such an interesting picture. My initial reaction was to look at it again and again :slight_smile:
The image has a lot of depth and layers, which I did not realise right away… I had to keep looking and go past the water lilies on the surface to realise just how complex this composition is. The scene and it’s intepretation transcents and takes other forms for me… It very soon looked like a depiction of our universe, with stars, nebulas and so forth. I really like it, and it’s an example of how nature photography can have a more expressive aspect to it.
That’s it, again, very well done, this is awsome. Don’t know what your intend was, I’ll check now as I’m pretty curious :blush:

2 Likes

@Diane_Miller, @Giuseppe_Guadagno , @Igor_Doncov , @Youssef_Ismail , @Nikos Thank you all for your kind words about the image. I’m so glad it moved each of you.

Igor, I am only familiar with the films of Tarkvshy by reputation, but I’ll have to check him out. Can you suggest one to start with?

Nikos, I’m glad you are seeing my intention, it is an attempt to reflect the spirit of Paul Caponigro’s “Galaxy Apple” using my language of landscape.

1 Like

Andrei Rublev.

1 Like

Ah I see … checked the original, really interesting. This is why interacting with the community here is so special. Nicely done @guy :clap:

1 Like