Unknown Mushroom

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This thing popped up and caught my eye a week ago and I got out Saturday to get some images of it. A large part of the appeal for me was the collection of fir needles and other debris that it had pushed up and the rest was the shaggy looking top. It looks to me as if something had been eating it, but it seems to look the same under the needles, so I’m not sure.

Specific Feedback

Is the background sufficiently subdued?

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, FE 70-200 f/4 macro @ 158 mm, hand held lying on stomach, f/22, 1/15, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 7984x5746. Added blur and a light once-over with a semitransparent green brush on the background and eliminated some distracting elements in the foreground. Taken January 6th at 12:36 PM.

Nicely seen, Dennis. It always amazes me how these tiny mushrooms can push their way through all sorts of debris. The subtle background works for me.

For me, too! I love the way the needles have been pushed up and the shaggy top.

I can’t ever find any that aren’t surrounded by grass sprouts.

Very cool. It’s always fun to find them like this. I’ve even found some so buried they appear to be in tiny caves!

Bg is sufficiently tamed, but we can still see the environment enough and it matches what is in focus. Without more info I can’t ID it for you, but I love the shaggy cap.

Dennis, this is a great find and well captured as far as I am concerned. Nature is amazing. I have seen tiny oak sprouts coming up in a crack of cement. Life must persist! The mushroom is certainly different with the shaggy top, but having all those needles up against it is a nice touch too. The BG works for me. We know that it is grass, but it isn’t distracting. Well done.

Very nice - I love seeing fungi pushing up through the duff. The texture on the top of this one reminds me of those highland Scottish cattle.

Dennis: You are the mushroom master. I’m going to be a little contrary and suggest the BG might be a little distracting. I did a quick and dirty darkening and blurring of it and added a slight vignette. A great find and a fine capture. >=))>

I like your changes, Bill. Thanks for suggesting them.