Up in the peaks

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I suppose that all I want to know is whether people find this one interesting.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is a combination of two images. I didn’t particularly set out to create a high-key image but this one kept drawing me in that direction.

Technical Details

Since two images were involved, there’s no single answer.

Specific Feedback

I’m interested in aesthetic reactions.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Yes. I do find this interesting, Don. It has a very ethereal look that appears like a print that’s done with non-permanent inks and left out in the sun too long. Why that would appeal to me, I don’t know, but it does.

Don, this is EXTREMELY appealing to me!
Looks like a soft, pastel painting with a Japanese influence.
Not the tiniest nit from me - just stunning

YES! Fascinating, engaging, wonderful and very cool! I love the way elements interact and the soft colors and tonalities. No suggestions except print and hang – in a high-end gallery.

Dennis, Sandy, Diane, thanks to all of you. :slight_smile:

I do! The colors are gorgeous. It’s just the sort of thing I’m enjoying these days. The only nit I have is those angular, bare branches right in the middle. I could see cloning those out. When doing these sorts of images, I figure that because it’s so “constructed”, why not get rid of the bits that don’t work. Anyway, this is really lovely.

You’re convincing, Bonnie. I tried it. Any better?

2 Likes

This looks like a Chinese silk painting from some dynasty. Your understated colors give the image nice mood. Don, is this how you saw and visioned the image in the field or was most of how you saw the image in post processing? Excellent.

Larry, I didn’t envision this in the field. When I was reviewing the images, the idea of combining these two occurred to me. I tried it. As soon as I did i had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted the final image to look like.

I thought I heard a mental echo of Japanese painting in this one but maybe it was Chinese (which the Japanese imitated).

Love the soft delicacy of this image. Chinese or Japanese - this is a splendid image, especially the upper 2/3rds of it. It’s quite a creation.

Thanks, Igor.

Agree with everyone. This is so nice Don! Graceful and delicate are two things that came to mind. I like the edited version incorporating Bonnie’s suggestions. Awesome work and so creative Don!

Thanks, Alfredo.

Yup - that does it for me! Now it’s all about the soft clumps of leaves and sinuous mountains.

Don, this is a very captivating image, and not immediately obvious that it is a combination of two images. Really well done. And I do love @Bonnie_Lampley suggestion and resulting image.

Thanks, Fritz. I’d worked on this one long enough that I’d become blind to what Bonnie pointed out. That’s one of the advantages of critiques.

1 Like

Don, very reminiscent of the pastel Chinese Prints. Quite beautiful. Bob Engle

I’m a little late to the party on this one, Don, but I concur and I like the simplification achieved by cloning out the branches. When I first saw this, I too thought about paintings from the orient. Nicely done.
ML

Bob, Marylynne, your comments are appreciated.

Hi Don, upon my immediate first impression this piece reminds me of a Japanese print. It is very calm and serene. I am not sure if it is infrared or just processed to have those calm quiet tones. There seems to be some haloing on the trunks that is a little distracting but overall I like the quiet calm feel. I do like the pink contrast of the sky on the left and that pairs nicely with the blue tones.