Upward dog(wood)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I fell in love with flowering trees this spring. I moved to a new house with property last November, not knowing what any of the landscaping was going to be like. Every tree that blossomed was a wonderful surprise and inspired me more than anything has in many years! I am a new member and this is my first post.

Technical Details

Sony A6600
f32 1/100 sec ISO 1600
Raw image, post process editing in Lightroom limited to global adjustments.

Derika, welcome to NPN and the Weekly Challenge! The back lighting on these Dogwood blooms lets them stand out well. The background looks very typical of a suburban/exurban yard with large trees on the sides. As a minor nit, the slight overlap between the highest bloom towards the right and the higher buts might have been avoided by slightly moving your camera.

Hi and welcome to NPN! Showy flowering trees are pretty special and it looks like you hit the jackpot with this one. Camera position dials in so much in terms of good and bad that it’s sometimes hard to choose. I’m not sure what happened with the cluster in the URC, but they seem a little dark - from a vignette maybe? I’d go tighter just on the center flowers for maximum impact.

Thank you Mark! I appreciate the feedback!

Hi Kristen! Yes, a vignette was the cause of the darkness. I will definitely try a tighter crop and see how that looks. Appreciate it!