Vermont Lake

Another shot from Vermont near the Canadian Border, October, 2016

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and All.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Processed in Lightroom: Lowered saturation, vibrance and highlights. Slight increase to clarity, dehaze and contrast. Run thru Topaz de-noise.

Ah New England. Those reds among the golds. I can see the attraction of the hill, but I’m not sure it’s working. Maybe it’s the crop - I’d go looser or tighter. If you have a wider view, maybe just the left end where the hill curves downward and if you have a reflection in the water, that may work. I’d play with the images and crops a while to see what appeals. Also it looks like it’s tilted slightly and could use a little clockwise rotation. Saturation & color look good. Makes me a little homesick. Autumn is lovely here in northern Wisconsin, but it’s shorter and we have fewer trees that turn red.

I see the slight tilt. Easy to fix. This is the full width from the camera. I cropped up from the bottom to eliminate part of the lake. I retained the left side because I like the reflection of the house and left more space on the right so the house wouldn’t appear crowded. Thanks for looking and your thoughts.

Another nice autumn Vermont-scape. Is this one of the Averill ponds in the Northeast Kingdom?

I see the same CCW tilt, and it would be easy to fix. In terms of composition, the basic most question here is how much of the reflection do you want to include. There are some strong horizontal lines here, the curve of the mountain, the the row of spruce on the mountainside, and the houses/shoreline… The more of reflection you include, the less emphasis you get on the horizontal lines. So I can see why you chose the composition that you did, this plays more on those strong horizontal lines. My comment would be I wish there was slightly more space above the mountain top (but not a lot given the bluebird sky). I also would like to see slightly more breathing room on the left.

Beautiful colors in this autumn Vermont image Merle. I certainly wish we had colors like this out west. I agree with @Kris_Smith about the composition just not quite working for me. It either needs more breathing room or less breathing room and the bluebird sky just attracts too much attention and doesn’t add much to the scene. I don’t know if this crop works for you but I cropped out the sky and eliminated much of the left side of the image and also removed some from the right and rotated slightly to level. Love the colors and the setting. Wish I could’ve been there.

Ed, I really don’t know exactly where this was. We were wandering around and all I can say is we were very close to the Canadian border. If I remember right, the left side is positioned because of a road next to the house. I wanted to eliminate the distraction. I included more of the lake for reflections and then ended up cropping it because they didn’t pan out. The horizontal lines with the lake shore, houses and trees seem to tie it all together. Thanks for looking and critiques. I appreciate it. I have a few more from the area to post later. Don’t want to overwhelm with Vermont shots.

David, Thank you for looking and your thoughts. I appreciate it. A good color out west is in the Eastern Sierras between Big Pine and Bridgeport when the Aspens change color and blow in the wind. The June Lake Loop is a good place to shoot.
I included the house on the left as a balance for the large house on the right. To my eye, the inclusion of some sky gives a feeling of expanse and open environment. All in the personal perception of the area.

1 Like