Visions of Spring

At this time of the year, with the wind blowing and snow covering everything, I like to visit a local florist and bring back some flowers to photograph inside. I love tulips not only for their colors but also for their beautiful long, graceful foliage.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a77M2, ISO 200, 2.5 sec, f/29, 52mm (35mm equiv). Two 85W soft white bulbs were used for lighting at approximately 45 degree angles on each side. Tripod mounted and remote release. Originally auto white balance but I found it turned the black velvet to blue so changed to cloudy in post processing. Also toned down the highlights to eliminate some glare on the flowers.

3 Likes

Nice studio comp, Jim. I really like the colors and the lighting.

1 Like

Really nice still life shot Jim! I am a bit partial to either showing more of the vase or non at all. The amount showing is a little distracting and I think does not add anything to this lovely composition. I think the saturation and colors are wonderful and you have done a great job showing off the velvety green stems/leaves. Reminds me of tulips my father planted for us when we got our first house. Well done!

Thanks to @David_Bostock and @Keith_Flood for your positive and helpful comments. Keith, I did include the full vase in another shot but for some reason had rearranged the flowers and didn’t care for the result after viewing.

1 Like

Ooh this is a nice shot of spring. Tulips are endlessly photogenic. I hope you don’t mind I played a little -

With the TK8 panel in Photoshop -

2 Color masks - one for yellow and one for green
Both output to a Color Grading Tool and then just darkened the mids
Lights 1 mask for highlights in petals and brought those down slightly
4:5 crop - added canvas at the top and did a tiny bit of CAF for the vase after cropping out as much as I could.

Anyway…just another take on a gorgeous array of color and shape.

Thanks @Kris_Smith , I can see the improvements and especially with that little bit of vase gone.

1 Like