Waiting

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The crack of dawn at White Sands NM finds this lone Yuca coated in frost and the ’
“sand” is frozen…waiting for some warmth-me too it’s 8 degrees.

Specific Feedback

any and all are appreciated

Technical Details

Sony a7RM3 with 70-200 f/4 lens

1 Like

Cool angle & isolation here. Very stark, but the light is very soft so it balances. Viewing large, however, reveals some issues - it’s VERY crunch and seems out of focus to me. There is a LOT of micro contrast and haloing that I can see even in the small view. The dunes behind look especially smeary and without nuance. Not sure if it’s processing or just a big crop, but something’s odd. Could also be atmospheric haze coming into it as well. Nothing you can do there, but maybe seeing an unprocessed version and more about your settings and camera handling could point to a reason.

thanks for the comments. I agree with you on all points and I was interested in seeing if anyone else noticed the same issues. the plant was growing in a some what of a isolated area and was shot at a distance. The low temperature was producing ice crystals, thus the softness and a lack of texture in the surface.