Isolation

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image is part of a series of images I captured during my second trip to Death Valley. During this trip I concentrated on isolating smaller segments of the dune field with an emphasis on texture and form.

Specific Feedback

all comments are welcomed

Technical Details

Sony a7r3 with a 70- 200mm lens

1 Like

Beautiful and interesting abstract photo!

What’s the scale here? I would like to say not more than few feets but it could be completely wrong as well.

I like the geometrical aesthetics of it. Simple but gorgeous image.
Really interesting for me it’s the tones on the middle of the frame, it looks almost inverted, and the way the texture of the sand mimics (in my mind) the grain of film.
Really like this one, thank you for sharing.
Cheers

Kasperi, this is a segment of a large portion of a sand dune and the area in the image is about 30 feet long. It could be larger , but I have no way of telling its true dimension. I hope that helps you out.

1 Like

Great image, Jake’s. I like the fact that scale isn’t important here. It is about texture, fork and light. And the geometry of nature. I hope to see more of this series. Thanks for sharing.

James: Dunes are one of my all time favorite subjects especially for the possibilities like this. My first impression was that I would like a bit more exposure to boost the overall brightness and contrast a bit. I have a similar image at White Sands that I had to really work with the whites to get it right and not lose texture. I know the sand in DV is not white so leaving this a touch gray does work. This is a little more than a half stop boost for your consideration. Well done as is though. >=))>