Wakulla Morning (with REPOST)

Florida (The REAL Florida, the natural Florida) is still an incredibly beautiful state. Sadly, it’s disappearing all too fast under the pressure of over-population and over-development. This gorgeous scene was taken on the Wakulla River as the fog was burning off.

Any and all feedback, technical, processing, or artistic, is always welcomed and appreciated.

Nikon D810 W/ Nikkor 80-400 @ 110 mm
1/350 @ f/5.6
560 ISO
Handheld w/ VR on

ig @simplynatureart

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Bill, I love the layered effect created by the foggy, misty conditions, especially along the far bank, showcasing the closer Cypress. Brings back vague but fond memories of when my grandparents ran the lodge at the Springs in the late 1950s. The Cormorants and other birds are a bonus, but the high key mood of the atmosphere is the best part.

1 Like

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your comments. I am also envious of the fact your grandparents ran the Lodge once. That must of been so cool. I’ve visited Wakulla so many times since my first visit back in the late 50’s, early 60’s and I never tire of its beauty.

Wow, Bill. This is stunningly beautiful. It’s almost David Chauvinisque. I would love to see these cypresses some day.

1 Like

This is gorgeous Bill. The light and mist really make the cypress stand out.

1 Like

Wow Bill, this has a very ethereal feeling to it. The high key processing has created a very light and delicate mood in this image. I like the color here, the green color cast adds to the mood of the scene for me. The inclusion of the birds tells a nice Florida nature story too. If this were mine, i might consider a crop from the right and the bottom to get the trees appearing larger in the frame.

1 Like

Wow! This is a hauntingly beautiful image, Bill. The atmospherics with the fog are absolutely gorgeous as is your processing of this lovely scene. As others have mentioned the high key look works very well here. You caught the cormorants at just the moment as they spread their wings. My only suggestion; just my personal preference; would be a crop of about a 1/3 of the water below the cypress. You have produced some gorgeous images over the years, but this might just be the best.

1 Like

Oh My Bill, this is just fantastic! Speaking of painterly… Oh, and the mystery with the mist and fog. Just gorgeous.

No one’s mentioned this? Do you have a frame with more room at top you could blend in, or do some stretching or something? I’m just wishing for a bit more room above that cormorant with it’s outstretched wings. As presented, just barely enough room - and only a nitpicky person like me would mention.

I LOVE this image Bill! Wow.

Lon

1 Like

Bill, Beautifully captured! Absolutely love the quiet misty mood and what a wonderful scene. Hope it stays that way!

1 Like

Bill Legget, Igor Doncov, Eva McDermott, Ed McQuirk, Ed Lowe, Lon Overacker, Nick Bristol - Thanks one and all for you kind words and suggestions. I have posted a revised version for comparison.

Ed & Ed, I tried your suggestions on cropping from the right and bottom and feel you were both right on the mark.

Lon - sorry, no more room at the top or I would try your suggestion as well.

To be honest, Bill, I can’t say the rework is an improvement. I wish you would reconsider.

1 Like

Bill, I’m a little late on this but I wanted to echo the WOW! This scene has a little of everything and it works together wonderfully!

1 Like

Bill, this is a beautiful dreamy image and the repost nails it for me. The changes really improve the mood and look of the scene.

1 Like

I saw this a few days ago when you first posted but didn’t have a chance to say how much I am impressed by the scene. The new crop is perfect for my taste, too. Congrats on this fine image, Bill!

1 Like

@Bill_Chambers, to my taste, I would crop a little less from the bottom and right than you did in your rework. I have done a rework showing my preference on crop, but in addition my rework has created more breathing room at the top by using PS to add 3% canvas at the top, and using Content Aware Fill (which did a great job on the fill). As others have pointed out, more breathing room at the top helps, and with CAF, no additional image is needed. Just my $0.02.

5 Likes

Love Wakulla in the morning. Great shot Bill. Here is my take

Thanks, Kelly. Beautiful shot yourself. Please post more of Wakulla and the area. Do you live in that area?

We live in Southwest Florida but enjoy visiting all of our state. I’ll post some more later…

Definitely a perfectly captured moment. So many trees, but you got one standing out and focusing our attention. You are very good at seeing images. I really don’t have any recommendations for improving this, though I did want to see what it might look like as a high-key monochrome. Not surprisingly, there is a lot of potential in whatever direction you take this.

1 Like