Wakulla morning

What makes this image expressive?

This image expresses the peace and the calm that the Wakulla River exudes at sunrise. The river is formed from the outflow of Wakulla Springs, one of the largest and deepest springs in North America. It is a beautiful, lush environment that remains much as it was 10,000 years ago when North America’s first indigenous people first settled here.

Specific Feedback Requested

Good morning, Alister. Good to “see” you again!

Just an overall critique, primarily of the composition and processing, but also if this image expresses the same feeling to you the viewer. Would appreciate any and all comments, good or bad. Brutal honesty requested.

3 Likes

My goodness yes, a blast from the past. How long have we known each other, 18 years maybe!!?

Lovely to see your name and image pop up in my email notifications.

It’s the only way I know :joy: :joy: :joy:

Ok! What are the attributes of calmness and serenity. Cool, airy, atmospheric, spacious, light, open, soft, delicate, harmonious? All of those seem to fit right?

I believe all of those qualities are exhibited in this image. Loads of atmosphere, a harmonious “realistic” colour palette and flowing water, birdlife and isolated trees. So yes, I think it hits the mark pretty well.

There is one thing that could help further.

The space between the top Anhinga and the frame is quite tight. This creates a little point of tension, like a guy in Walmart getting too close when he’s asking if he can help you today! The space below the Wood Ducks feels open and balanced, the top is tighter. It’s such a minor thing, but it has a compositional consequence.

Otherwise, I think this is lovely and I can feel the calmness emanating from it. Lovely to see you again and I need to spend some more time being sociable!!

Not sure if this is open to comments but I love this image Bill, it feels ancient and timeless

1 Like

Has it been 18 years? Probably so. My, how time flies!

Thanks so much for the critique, I truly appreciate it. I see you’re doing well, and I’m happy for you. I wish you great success with your book! Take care!

1 Like

Thanks very much, Ryan.

Cheers Bill, yeah, I joined NSN in August 2004 - take care mate. I’ll be here more often