Walking to the Moon

Photographed in Namibia as we were headed back to our lodge just before sunset. 5 bracketed images hand blended together

Specific Feedback Requested

Do the exposures look realistic?

Anything else, of course

Technical Details

2 Likes

Hey! First of all, great shot. Photography is all about capturing a specific moment in time and you have definitely done that. Second… your feedback question. The exposure does look realistic. I’d say that it could even be brightened a little more to see the elephant better

Karl, this is really excellent. I love the overall feeling. I see a bit of vignetting at the top. You might be able to crop down and still have plenty of sky. Brightness and colors look fine. You might even be able to do a bit of darkening of the black range to add more depth. Love this scene.

It looks realistic to me, but I would prefer more exposure. Both suggestions above are good.

Karl,

I think David J nails it with his reference to a “moment in time.” Exactly what this is, just a great moment in time - never to be repeated.

I think the exposure and processing is appropriate for the given conditions - clued in by the sun (I mean the moon, right?) and how it’s obscured through the atmosphere - almost like we get to see here in CA during (sadly) the wildfires…

I would agree with David B on the vignetting in the upper corners; often caused by filters, lens hoods or just inherant in the lens and wide open apertures. I think you can get away with a crop, or if you don’t like a crop, then processing it away. OR, OR, go with it and add an even stronger, on purpose vignette; but I’m not sure that would be a good idea, so never mind. :slight_smile:

Wonderful image.

Lon

Thank you @David_Johnston , @David_Bostock , @Diane_Miller and @Lon_Overacker

I’m glad that most of you think the blend for a sunset is reasonable. I did brighten the subject a little - thanks as well as the darks in the shrubs to give it a little more “depth”