Wanderer

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Do you get a sense of his size. He is over six feet tall at the shoulder.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

A massive male polar bear takes an interest in the photographer and wanders toward him.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 10D; Canon EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 280mm; f/9.5 @ 1/250 sec; -1 EV; ISO 100; Gitzo tripod; RRS BH 55; remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

What a great polar bear shot. While I don’t immediately think of him being 6’+ at the shoulder, I am impressed by his massive size. I know these bears can be massive, and this guy sure is. Great pose and I like the movement of the hind leg, and how he’s headed at you.

I just read your techs and info. How close were you?

Thank you @Jim_Gavin for your remarks. Most people have no idea how large adult Polar bears are. They have been brainwashed by the Coke advertisements at Christmas that they are cuddly soft little animals. They are, in fact, the largest terrestrial predators in the world, including the Kodiak Brown bears! When they stand on their hind feet their reach is 12 feet. He was one of the most attractive bears I encountered.
The camera I was using that day did not record “distance to subject” as newer cameras can. My best guess, based on memory and the focal length I used to capture the image, he was about 30 feet away

Bob, What a beautiful animal! Thirty feet away isn’t very far, especially when he is walking toward you. I don’t get a sense of his height, but I do feel his massive bulk. There is power in those legs. He looks very healthy. He seems rather “fluffy,” but I doubt that. Where were you? I understand that warming Arctic waters pose severe problems for the bear population.

He was about 30 feet away, but were you? I notice you had remote set up.

Thank you @Jim_Gavin and @Barbara_Djordjevic for your comments and concern for my safety. I was aboard a Tundra Buggy which has a rear platform suitable for setting up a tripod. Our small group, about 10 people p hired it for a day in Wapusk NP. I got out when we were in a safe area and made this picture of the buggy. The platform, with its protective walls, is clearly visible. The bottom of the windows are 12 feet from the ground so the top of the window can be opened for photography without the danger of being reached by the bear(s).
The bears require ice floes or solid ice to go out onto Hudson Bay, seen here behind the buggy, to hunt for seals. Warm water takes longer to freeze.

It is beautifully captured, can make a nice card !
Some more canvas at bottom may help.

Thank you @JRajput for your suggestions.

What a fabulous looking animal. It’s great that he’s looking right at you. He appears to be in top condition.

Thank you @Richard_Sandor for your comments. He was a spectacular specimen. I have more images of him but I’m just going to place one, “Resplendent” on this reply . Enjoy!