Waterfall in the Distance

David, welcome to NPN. I don’t normally comment much in the Landscape, as I rarely get the opportunity to shoot landscape, and don’t feel I am able to critique like so many others can in this area. However, you mentioned that your goal is to be able to make prints that you can print and hang on your wall. In my opinion, you have it right here. Maybe some of the good advice from others can help you make this image it’s best for the display. I just love the play of the light in this image. Looking forward to seeing more of your images, and reading your comments and critiques.

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman , I appreciate that! I do feel that I have come a fair distance in the 5 months I have been messing about with this little hobby. I take far more bad shots than good! I would say my biggest improvements have come on the technical side of things, I don’t feel as clumsy making adjustments with my camera, I still make mistakes from time to time, but far less than before. My editing could still use some work. I have purchased tutorials from a handful of people I consider to be really good at all this, when I watch them I try to think of what I would do and compare it to what they actually do next, often times I find myself thinking what they do makes more sense than my next move! Like I’m playing checkers and they are playing chess, hopefully that comes with some practice though. Compositionally, I have a long way to go. I find that living in Ohio and not really traveling I have had to work a lot at the compositional side of things because rarely is an image just laid out in front of you here.

I appreciate all of the feedback I have gotten here, being new to this I am trying to soak everything in!

Thanks again for dropping in!

1 Like

This thread is a great discussion. It’s nice to not only know what others think will improve an image, but also WHY they think it will improve.

For my taste, your repost is the most attractive. The light above makes a diagonal pointing to the waterfall, and the reflected light curves toward and enhances it below IMHO. The image is more balanced with that symmetry, and draws my eye right to the focal point.

Thanks, I think I may try to lift the blacks a bit, they are a little harsh in my opinion, too much contrast.

The discourse here has been amazing and the EXACT reason I signed up. Hope to post more soon.

Thank you!