Waves

Repost with burned in bottom area:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken the same day as my previous post: Ocean Fury, but from the comfort of my hotel room balcony later in the day. The waves were just incredible and while sipping a glass (or 2) of a fine Cabernet, I thought it might be interesting to play around with a long lens and compress the waves. Since the light was very harsh, I knew any images would wind up in B&W so I switched my camera profile to B&W.

I have a ton of images, but this one spoke to me the most. This is the equivalent of a 650mm lens on full frame. The waves were just incredible, coming in one after the other. It was awesome. I hope this conveys some of the extreme power of the ocean.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

435mm (652mm full frame), 1/640sec @ f/10, ISO 160

2 Likes

When @Steve_Kennedy and I were here at the end of last year, I too sat on the balcony and tried to capture a shot like this. You may have noticed I haven’t posted anything like that; none of mine were this good :wink:.

Knowing that location, I’m guessing those waves were huge. Black and white was a perfect choice, and I think the high contrast really brings out the energy they contain. Since there’s a little more room at the top my OCD side wishes for a tad at the bottom, but that’s a personal bent; the image is fantastic as is. Apparently you should sit on balconies with Cabernet more often!

I don’t know. To me they look more like clouds than waves. Perhaps including a bit more of the ocean, or maybe color. Maybe I’m wrong on this.

Wow! That is a shallow beach but it must be shallow way out to form a series of breakers like this – I’ve never seen anything like that! Excellent use of telephoto foreshortening! I’m with @John_Williams on wanting just a bit more at the bottom if you have it – otherwise maybe burn down the lighter foam there?

@John_Williams, @Igor_Doncov, and @Diane_Miller thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. I do not have any room on the bottom, but I guess I could do a content fill. Instead I burned in the bottom as Diane suggested. I tried to post it, but there seems to be an issue with the site. I’ll post it when I can.

Cheers,
David

I was able to post the revised version at the top of the post.

Thanks again,
David

Awesome David! These are the same conditions I experienced in Carmel this past winter during a long series of “atmospheric rivers…” I posted similar in the Processing Challenge.

Love that you were able to isolate just the breakers with the long lens. My thought is not more room, but actually cropping slightly up top. I say this because as presented there’s a “hint of calm” or at least a long break before the next series of waves. By cropping just that bit I think that adds that mystery or question, “how many more waves are up there?” Just a thought.

Otherwise, the only question I have is, what is the name of the hotel??? ha ha (don’t answer if you don’t want the Internet to know…) :slight_smile:

Awesome image of the power and fury of the ocean!

1 Like