Web in The Sky

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this web in my backyard after a little sprinkle. It was going from my deck rail to the house. Nothing but sky behind it.

Technical Details

Canon5DSR, 100mm Macro w/extender.

1 Like

I love bedewed spider webs and you found a good one and had the best of luck with backgrounds. Interesting choice of putting the focus point at the top of the frame and letting it fall off toward the bottom. There’s a bright spot on the bottom edge that I would crop or clone out. The blue feels a little cyan as well. Not sure what you aperture was, but I have a feeling opening up a little might have made the OOF areas a bit smoother and less crunchy. Looks like the spider that wove this hasn’t done any maintenance in a while!!

I have never managed to capture an image I was satisfied with of a web with water drops on it. I agree with @Kris_Smith about the blue sky. That should be an easy fix. Yes, it would have been nice to have more DOF. Being able to shoot it against the sky was a real bonus. I hope I can find one like that some day.

So lucky to have that sky for a background, John. All my spider web images are from the prairie and getting a decent background is a real chore. This is gorgeous. As for the depth of field, if you don’t have any breeze, you can sometimes get away with focus stacking a spider web. Otherwise, about all you can do is try to get as perpendicular to it as possible and stop down as far as the light will permit. This would be a really good one for stopping down because you didn’t have to worry about bringing background stuff into focus. This is a beautiful image despite our comments on how it might be improved. Certainly it has wonderful impact and the focus issue really doesn’t amount to much for most people other than fellow photographers who love to nitpick.

Thanks Kristen, This was the first time I was able to catch a web like this. I took several shot and thought this was the best. I’m not sure what the aperture was. I missed the spot at the bottom. After the rain, the spider didn’t come back. the web dried and fell apart.

Thanks Shirley, I’ll play with the sky a little bit.
I was lucky the spider choose the roof of my house to connect with.

Dennis, Thanks.
Sometimes nitpicking is what we need to do our best. I take most comet to heart since I’m learning. I hope I get another chance to try your suggestions.

1 Like

Hi John, welcome to NPN! Spider webs are great subjects to photograph. Their complex patterns can lend themselves to making unique abstract images. Pair that with fresh rain drops and a good background and you have the potential for a wonderful image.

I’m finding that the sky is competing for my attention so I would suggest slightly denaturing the blue tones there. Regardless, this is a great find and a promising shot. Thanks for posting it!