Welcome Home

It’s funny how we relate to our subjects sometimes. When I’m in my blind, it’s a Junco, or a Chickadee, or even a Towhee. But when this bird shows up, it’s THE Willow Flycatcher. I have no proof that it’s the same bird, but I’ve only seen one at a time and this is the 4th year I’ve had one and I think the third year I’ve seen it coming to my pools to bathe. I was wondering if it would be here again this year and it showed up today.

I got more conventional poses and several after bath, wet bird images, but somehow I liked this one the most, despite the lack of eye contact.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 421 mm, tripod with ballhead and Sidekick mount, f/8, 1/400, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image, feather enhancement with Topaz Detail 3. Cropped from a horizontal to 2769x3462. Raised the brightness of the bird and perch in processing. Taken this afternoon at 1:53. Bird and perch in shade, background in filtered sun.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Gorgeous detail, as always, Dennis. I like the fact that he’s lookin’ down. Brightness seems just right, and the contrasting background seems about right to my eyes and on my monitor. Nice capture; Flycatchers are such cute birds.

Pleasing contemplative pose. Being able to see both eyes makes a huge difference. Excellent color and detail.

A pensive pose. Works for me. Nice detail and background.

Very nice and subtle shot. I like the mute colours. Great story to go with it ! Cheers, Hans

Dennis, I am so glad to hear that you a “special bird” that keeps returning to your pool setups for bathing and posing for you. We had a Hummingbird with a patch of white feathers on top of her head (most unusual from all others), and this year she didn’t return, so I guess that she has died. I had gotten really attached to her, always pleased to see her. So I know what you mean.

This is an excellent pose with really nice lighting. I love the perch on a slant as well. Excellent shot. :+1: :+1: