What happens to a Loon is heave clouds - black and white

The weather man said Mar. 5 would be partly cloudy, well that lasted a grand total of 5 minutes. So I took a vary buddy looking Loon photo into DxO PhotoLab 4’s Nik Collection and turned into a B&W. This shot was take hand held from the boat launch on The Fourmile River in South Lyme, Ct. I will show you the shot I started with.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7Dll, Sigma 150-600mm, 546mm, F6.3, 1/640, -.3Ev, ISO 2000. The shot is cropped by 50% into a 16by9. After making the B&W, I used a local brush to soften some of the foreground and background find grain produce by the B&W conversion.

1 Like

A fine looking youngster here, at least it looks like a juvenile to me. The b&w works very well. Great reflection and detail. You could shave a little more off the top and not lose anything. The wake is particularly nice - makes for a little more implied action. I can’t wait till they come back up this way. We usually have a few here on the flowage and they’re quite used to people. Pontoon boats motor by them at a good clip and they don’t even move.

The Black and White conversion really made this image pop, Peter. Nice processing.

Really nice Peter. Nice low angle, good reflection and sweet pose with the loon swimming towards you. I am a color person and especially when there is very little color! So although both are vg I prefer the original.

Well caught, Peter! I too prefer the original; maybe if you softened the FG and BG even more in the B and W (to match the original), I’d find the ripples less distracting . I also find the colour warmer, matching the gentle bird.

Well done. I am enjoying the POV, DOF, and comp.

Hello, Peter. Although I am usually a fan on B&W images, in this particular case I seem to like the original better. You did a good job though, technically, bringing the image to B&W, but in this case… well. A matter of personal preference I assume. Either way a very good shot, having the birds swimming towards you with the wake and the awesome reflection! Love it ! Congrats & nice to see everybody having their personal preferences :wink: … Greetings, Hans

Hi
Thanks for all the comments. Like Hans said, everyone should express their personal presences.
That is way I like the punch of the B&W.
Peter