What Lies Beneath

What Lies Beneath - is revealed twice a day at low tide.

Everything in the foreground is completely below water when high tide fills this bay in the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park. Tides in this location can easily vary by as much as 12 or 15 feet from low to high. The yellow seaweed in the foreground is a species called rockweed.

What attracted me to this scene was the contrast between the sharp rocks in the foreground against the diffuse look of the spruce trees in the fog. And as an added bonus - no lobster buoys that have to be cloned out of the water :grin:

And if anyone has the comment that the foreground colors are kind of muddy, well you would actually be correct. :rofl:

Specific Feedback Requested

ant critique or comment welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D Mk4, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens at 110mm, ISO 200, 0.4 sec at f16.

1 Like

This is an extremely well-crafted composition Ed. I love the interaction between the foreground landmass with the reflection of the trees, then the distance between the landmass on the left, and both the reflection of the trees and the distant land. It’s extremely well thought out, and definitely one of those scenes where moving the camera a little bit in any direction would disrupt the visual flow of the image. I honestly don’t have any critique, but I just wanted to compliment you on the extremely well-crafted image.

Wonderful composition Ed. Like the way my eye is lead through to the island in bg. The subtle yet luminant seawood really adds to this image for me

The dichotomy between the two worlds is what I find interesting in this image. The tones really make the separation very clear. I do like the composition as well. Rockweed is something I encountered in New England and found it very photogenic for intimates and even abstracts.

Well, what Ben Horne said! This is such a wonderful composition. And you managed to make that mud quite attractive. Perhaps it’s the nice warm brown of the rockweed. Those warm tones in the foreground combined with the cool background fog makes for a wonderful sense of depth.

@Ben_Horne @Mario_Cornacchione @Igor_Doncov @Bonnie_Lampley

thank you all for sharing your thoughts and comments on my image, I appreciate it.

One of the things I love about seascape photography is the effect that tides can have on a image. It makes locations have more potential to be dynamic, because the way they look are constantly changing. Especially when you have extreme tides such as in Downeast Maine.

I’ll admit that low tide is generally not my favorite, because frankly mud is usually not that photogenic. But in this case the low tide revealed some nice graphic shapes that allowed me to capitalize on this composition.

Yep, this is my kind of scene with lighting that I live for. So wonderful that you had the privilege of standing in the midst of this. I don’t find the foreground muddy in the least. Everything, including the colour palette is suitably muted and, as you say, an exciting juxtaposition between the detail of the foreground and haze beyond. The picture is so skillfully composed. Tremendous depth and mystery. It evokes a sense of awe. A very fine landscape image indeed.

1 Like