What luminance do you calibrate your monitor to?

I’ve been using 120 cd/m2, but am curious what others are using?

I calibrate my monitor to 110

110 here, too. Also, 200:1 contrast ratio, and 6506 (D65) white point.
-p

120 for me, John, but I noticed my last prints seemed just a wee bit dark, so I may drop down to 110 soon.

D65, luminance 120 for screen images. For prints I drop the luminance to ~80, still frequently need to bump shadows a little and will use D50 instead of D65 if they will be viewed under tungsten light. Also with prints for friends, will make print lighter or darker depending on where it will be displayed… darker location vs bright.

1 Like

I use the same settings as @Craig_Marvil. Only by dropping luminance this low do I get decent looking prints, but 120 does a fine job for web display. I process almost all of my images as if they were intended for web. But when I go to print an image I change my monitor calibration to 80 (NEC Spectraview monitor allows that with one click), and reprocess the image for print (primarily increasing exposure and slightly increasing contrast). I read somewhere that some folks recommend processing for print, and then just decreasing exposure for web. Does any body here do that and feel like it is a better approach ?

Thanks all! I’ve been using 120 and D65, but wanted to make sure that’s what others were doing since it matters a lot when viewing photos and appreciating critiques.

120, 65, but actually my screen calibrating software (xRite) has this as a default.

Pardon my ignorance but if you calibrate to a certain luminance does that mean that you turn off the monitors auto brightness setting? Meaning that the image is harder to see when the room is bright?

That’s actually a good question. Yes, Nathan. Turning on auto-brightness basically negates any luminance calibration.

Depending upon your calibration software and your monitor, you may be able to turn auto-brightness temporarily. I do not recommend this, however. Keep in mind, though, that changing the brightness will affect any image processing you do.
–P

1 Like

I’ve done some research and my calibration tool has functionality that monitors ambient light within a room and adjusts the monitor brightness accordingly.

Has anyone used such functionality and has an opinion on calibrated dynamic brightness versus a static brightness?