Whirlpool

I was cleaning up my LR catalog when I found this one and re-worked it. It didn’t really change much from the initial edit other than that some minor burning on the right-hand side of the image and also a re-crop. From time to time I will do “wave blending” to get the shape that I want in my smooth long exposure seascapes but this one didn’t require any of that. I find that quite amusing.

As always, all feedbacks are welcome!

D750, 24mm, f/8, 3 sec, ISO 100

Revision with burning on the upper right corner and a touch more contrast to the water as suggested below:

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Adhika, this is an interesting catch with the swirl in the breaking waves. The colors and scene are nicely inviting. I find the swirl distracting, but that just my tastes, others may love it.

1 Like

This is some wonderful work, Adhika. The conditions you captured are really nice, great composition and I love the water motion. Excellent work!

1 Like

I am quite liking this. The swirl works great for me. I might burn the upper portion of the cloud leaving the top of the frame, but not a big deal. Cool moody image, other worldly and mysterious.

1 Like

Adihka, this is a great find while cleaning! I really like the swirl, colors and mood in this scene. For me the long exposure and resulting swirl provide additional interest. Nice work!

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver, @Nick_Bristol, @Harley_Goldman, @Alan_Kreyger: thanks, guys!

I wish for a more “composed” sky instead of the somewhat messy clouds I have here and I think that’s why I didn’t really finish this image then, I am glad that I find it again. I still want better clouds though. :laughing:

@Harley_Goldman: that’s a good suggestion about burning just the very top portion of the sky . There is that brighter cloud near the UR corner (maybe more about 1/4 way from the right) that bothers me. Is that your main target as well?

Adhika,

Love this! Fantastic coastal image. That perfect half circle curving flow of the receding surf is captured beautifully. I would say quite unique actually - I can’t say I’ve ever seen anything like this; a lot has to come together for this to work so fluidly. Wow!

If this doesn’t make a great case for longer shutter speeds of water, I don’t know what else would.

Lon

That is the one I was talking about.

I like the soft glowing light in the clouds and the water. The curve of the water flow really pulls my eye into the scene. As a matter of preference I think I would prefer more texture and detail in the water as I think that would further add to the lines of the composition. Having said that the softness of the water seems to fit with the mood of the light and the overall image and it is a matter of personal preference.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, @Lon_Overacker and @Brian_Schrayer!

@Brian_Schrayer, good suggestion. I played with adding a touch more contrast to the water to give it just the impression of a tad more texture to the water. I think it adds a certain amount of depth to the image. I really like it. Thanks for the suggestion!

I posted a minor revision in the OP.

Adhika,
The original was lovely, but the couple of tweaks in the repost have elevated this image another notch. I love the swirl in the wave action and the combination of cool and warm tones in both the sky and water work beautifully together. This is a real tiny nitpick; because this is exquisite as is; but I wish there was just a bit more room on the left so the water was not quite as close to the edge of the frame. Maybe add just a little more canvas? Anyway, this is superb.

Adhika, I really like the adjustments that you made on the repost.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_Lowe! Yeah, indeed, that’s a very good comment about the left side. I immediately looked into whether I have cropped off anything on that side but apparently I am maxed out there. So, I tried content aware and it was kind of messy on my first try. I will look into this more!

And thanks for the EP, guys!