Elakala Swirl

This is still a work in progress although I am getting closer to what I want. Mike and I went back to this location because I did not want to wait around while everyone else cleared out. I think the dinner bell was calling as we had the place to ourselves shortly before sunset. This is two vertical images blended in PS because the 17 mm was not wide enough to get the swirl left to right. If I had been thinking I should have taken some without the bridge as to capture the whole swirl top to bottom. Oh well; maybe next time.

I am not sure what caused it and I did not notice it when shooting, but does the lighter area toward the bottom right in the swirl bother you? Anyway, thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 17mm, f 16 @ 20 sec, ISO 100, CPL, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I much prefer this over the one I got. I like the bridge in the shot. I would knock the blues back a little.

Now I know why your brother cropped so tight to the top of the falls in his earlier post :grin:
I know it’s not fair to compare this to Mikes post, but it’s hard not to.

I really like the expanded view of the rock formations adjacent to the falls, the texture and patterns in the rocks add a lot to my enjoyment of the image, even though the falls appears smaller than in Mikes composition. This is subjective personal taste, but I would prefer this without the bridge. I think you have room to do 4:5 crop without the bridge. I like the arrangement of rocks in the foreground, it works for me. It’s minor, but I would try to burn the bright part of the swirl in the lower right. I agree with Mike about reducing the blues. If you don’t want to warm it up further (the leaves look fine), try de-saturating blue instead, and you may get cleaner whites.

Ed, Elakala without the bridge is quite a challenge. This view, with the bridge, shows off the swirl very well. Since the swirl is already dominating the view, I’m not sure that getting it’s last bit in the frame matters. The fall leaves add a good touch of warmth. If you want the bridge to go away, an 8.5 x ll crop might work.

Thanks guys @Michael_Lowe, @Ed_McGuirk and @Mark_Seaver for taking the time to leave your thoughts; always appreciated. Here is a repost with your suggestions of removing a bit more blue, burning down the reflection or whatever it is and cropping out the bridge.

The repost looks great Ed. I too prefer it without the bridge. The bright part of the swirl didn’t bug me much, but now that I see your adjustment I think it was a good call.

Thanks for your thoughts @John_Williams always appreciated.