Elakala Swirl

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The lovely Elakala Falls in Blackwater Fall SP, WV never disappoints; although the views will be limited now that a large tree has fallen and blocked the view from downstream. Hopefully the park will decide to cut it up and remove, but I am not holding my breath.

Specific Feedback

I am overall pleased with the image, but I have been on the fence about adding a little canvas to the right side so the edge of the swirl is not so close. What do you think?

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 14-30 @19mm, f 11 @ 20 sec, ISO 400, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod.

4 Likes

Ed, this one is the best for me out of your most recent posts. Although it works fine as presented I can see your point about the right edge and would be open to attempts of additional work there if it is possible. Regardless, a wonderful image… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ed, the greens (and the swirl) are lovely…must have been a rainy day… :grinning:. Wanting more space on the right was my first reaction, but having been there, I know it’s a tight spot and adding canvas with the variety of material on the right will be challenging.

1 Like

Thanks so much @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Mark_Seaver. Glad you guys enjoyed the image. It was photographer error :crazy_face: on the right side. For some reason I forgot to make sure the camera was level and I had to rotate the image CCW to level it up. I tried a couple of times to add some canvas and everything looked fine until I got up into the rhodie leaves in the URC. I will have to keep working on it as I would like to make a print of this.

Hi Ed. Very nice shot. Good leading lines and the swirl is very interesting. Too bad about the treefall. I think you could give the swirl some more breathing room and try it out, but it looks alright the way it is now.

1 Like

This is very pretty, and I find the swirl very attractive. I’d like to play with capturing water designs like this sometime. I think the variety and location of the color tones is also very pleasing. I didn’t really think about room to the right until you mentioned it, but I agree with the others. Lovely in any case. Enjoy it on your wall. Maybe you have a standard preference, but my next question is what will you print it on (metal, a favorite paper, etc.)?

1 Like

The swirl is really nice. Sort of like a satellite image of a hurricane. Great image.

2 Likes

Superb shot, Ed. Perfect SS for the swirl and aperture for DOF. The polarizer made everything nice and lush and allowed us to peak through the water to those nice rust colored rocks underneath. If you plan on printing, I would definately add some canvas on the right. Generative Fill would probably work perfectly for web presentation but it’s low resolution would be apparent in a print. Try adding some canvas and brushing down it with the Remove tool.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Thank you everyone @Cameron_Wilcox, @karlag, @WillR and @Michael_Lowe; glad everyone enjoyed the image. The light on and off rain provided the perfect conditions for Mike and I.

@karlag : I currently have a CanonPrograf Pro-300 printer and I prefer using Canon A3+ 13"x19" Pro Luster photo paper.

@Michael_Lowe : I will have to give that a try; fingers crossed.

1 Like

Ed, your photograph truly captures the serene and dynamic nature of this waterfall scene. The choice of a long exposure has beautifully rendered the water into this silky texture, creating a wonderful contrast with the crisp, static rocks. The swirling patterns in the foreground pool are mesmerizing and draw the eye effectively, leading to a discovery of the scene’s depth and details.