Elakala Falls In Autumn

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I did not notice it at the time, but this image turned out to be one of those two-fer scenes. This was originally shot as a vertical; which I was quite happy with; with a water swirl in the FG. At some point later on it dawned on me that this would also make a nice horizontal also. Here is what I came up with.

The conditions were perfect with a light rain and some lovely yellow autumn leaves scattered on the rocks below the falls.

Specific Feedback

All C&C is welcome and appreciated. I am wondering about the balance in this landscape. I was pondering cropping a little more from the right edge so the waterfall is a little closer to be centered. What are your thoughts?

Technical Details

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 17 mm, f 16 @ 20 sec, ISO 100, CPL, cable release & tripod.

3 Likes

What’s interesting is that the leaves seem to be falling along with the water.

1 Like

Ed, you did a great job capturing the essence of this fall scene. I especially like your choice of SS - it’s dead on. I like it the way it is with respect to the crop, however if you put a gun to my head and told me I had to crop from one side or the other, I’d actually pick taking a little off the left since there’s not a lot of detail in the dark depression in the cliff wall there and the waterfall does actually have elements to the right of the main fall.

1 Like

I find the image nicely balanced. To me the waterfall a bit left of center is balanced by the water flowing in the foreground a bit right of center.

1 Like

Ed, what a beautiful world to make images. The streaming water and leafs like birds flying down . TOP!

2 Likes

@Ed_Lowe, what a beautiful waterfall! So graceful (thanks to your capture!). I love the way the leaves, flowing water (from the waterfall), and rock walls frame it. I looked at cropping and actually think that I wouldn’t take anything off either side. But, with that said, my graphic designer eyes are uncomfortable with what I’m perceiving to be a tilt to the left. I downloaded the image and straightened it in PS. I’m attaching a screenshot so you can see the slight modification. It may be a little overdone, but (if you’re so inclined) you can work with it. PS Where is this waterfall located?

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone @Igor_Doncov, @Ron_Meeker, @DeanRoyer, @Ben_van_der_Sande and @Susanna_Euston for taking a moment to leave your thoughts ans suggestions. Always appreciated.

@Ron_Meeker: I was hesitant to crop the darker area on the left because I do like the rhodie leaves along the top. I was able to bring out more detail by using the shadow/highlights tool so thanks for catching that.

@Susanna_Euston : I did not notice the slight CCW tilt and am glad you caught that. It was off about .75 degree so that graphic designer eye is still working. :grinning: Elakala Falls is located in Blackwater Falls SP in WV. It is only about four and a half hours from my home in MD so I try to get out there once or twice a year.

1 Like

What a lovely scene, Ed. I usually like a little bit more texture in my water but this is one where I think the milk looks pretty darn good. I also like the composition although you mention a portrait version which I think would perhaps look even better. I too think that the leaves over the waterfall are mimicking the fall of the waterfall on the right side. There is just enough of a shelf there to hold the leaves in place to add to that effect. Lovely Fall image, Ed.

1 Like

Gorgeous Ed! I can see why one might want to drive 4 hours to visit this place. Beautiful and tranquil.

Great job on this as presented. Good call by @Susanna_Euston on the slight rotation; subtle, but there.

Cropping and what to included in any frame is of course very subjective. I can see how a vertical of this scene would be beautiful as well. I might be inclined to crop a little on the sides, but that’s just me. I’m also not as enthusiastic about the leaves/branches in the upper left; but for sure there is enough of a presence that they are not all that distracting.

Excellent observation from @Igor_Doncov about the falling leaves. I see that too. And too that, my favorite part of the scene are the delicate trickles of water over the rock face to the right of the main cascade.

Just a beautiful all around scene. Very print worthy!

Lon

1 Like

very nice composition demostration… where did you get the spiral from? I assume it can be in photoshop?

Hi, Bill @bill_theis. In Lightroom, when you’re in the crop tool, you can hit the “O” key to change/move through the overlay options. There are six different overlays. In Photoshop, in the options bar, there is a little icon to the right of the straighten tool that allows you to select one of six overlays. I frequently use the Golden Spiral and the Golden Ratio. You can cycle through the different overlays in PS using the “O” key. Have fun!

got it. thanks. I was using a different tool (a composition grid plugin) that didn’t have the golden spiral! it will be used forthwith as part of my crop deliberations!

Thanks @David_Haynes and @Lon_Overacker for your thoughts; always appreciated. Here is the vertical version just for comparison.

3 Likes

Love this version as well!

1 Like

Wonderful shot, Ed. The large version really brings this scene to life. The crop as is, looks fine to me. The water flow through the image seems to balance it out. I think at least half my images are crops from originals that I did not see at the time.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts @Saundie and @Michael_Lowe; always appreciated. Glad you both enjoyed the image.