Epic Waterfall!!!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Just kidding!

I couldn’t help but be drawn to the reflections of the fall colors in the rivers throughout GSMNP. The hard part was trying to find something to make it more than just an image of the reflected light. I’m not sure the level of success here but had a crack at this one.

Specific Feedback

I’ve included a few different crops because I’m not sold on any one of them as being the “best” I’m a bit partial to the 4x5 but not committed yet.

Technical Details

ISO 100, f11, 1/4sec. 200mm

These types of images are fun and could be rather striking with all the colors, and contrast between the orange and blue parts. I just played around with different crops and below is one possibility. I also increased the “pop” of the image slightly and especially for the stone in the fall, that I liked a lot.

@Ola_Jovall thanks for taking the time to look at this one. The flip is interesting and something I strongly considered. The more panoramic view is interesting, I’ll take that into consideration for sure! As for the “pop” once I uploaded the image it looked significantly different from what I was seeing on my computer. I’m not sure if the switch to srgb had that effect or something else but I agree, the added saturation is key (and actually more closely resembles the look and feel of the scene).

David,

I’m quite the sucker for these cascading stream images and reflected autumn colors. It’s like being a kid in a candy story, as they say.

Love the golden reflections; I think the color/sat/hues are spot on. Of the colors though, I think the blue could be targeted. What I mean is that I like the random blues in the water, obviously reflect sky from above. What I mean by targeted, I think the blues in the interior of the main cascade could be nuetralized. So I dropped the blue saturation a bit (also tweaked cyan) and then masked/painted the areas where the blue didn’t seem right. Very subtle, not even sure if you can tell the difference.

I’m also not sure on my crop. I think the more I’ve looked, the better I like your original crop. I think there’s just a better flow and sense of space/location with your first post. I only cropped a bit, some from all sides, to take the main rock out of the more centered position and to eliminate some of the elements up top. But again, not sure if this is an improvement.

Hello @Lon_Overacker circling back on this, thanks for taking the time to look it over. I can definitely see the difference around the center of the image, thanks for the idea, I will take a look at it again!

David, I’m chuckling over your title. I too thoroughly enjoy fall reflections in local streams, where the small cascades create some fine small scenes and interesting patterns. You’re original post feels the most dynamic, while the square crop does a good job of showing off the rock and it’s cascade. I agree with Lon that a modest desaturation of the blue reflections, especially in the lower right corner, let the golden glow show even better.