White-tailed Kite

This is from 2012, rescued during one of my murderous deletion rampages – which never get murderous enough as I keep finding things to be looked at again with new tools.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D3, Canon 300mm f/2.8 II + 1.4X, ISO 1600, 1/1000, f/13 (WHY???) – should have been wide open! Shadows and Highlights leaned on pretty heavily in LR, then into PS for Denoise, which I finally got working. At least on the M1 Mac it is incredibly buggy when used with a Wacom. Works fine with the mouse. Fix in he works… Cropped to about 40%of the original pixels, and noisy as it was I managed to rescue it with the new Topaz Denoise. The different algorithms were different here and this one was best with Standard in the deepest shadows.

Hhi Diane, another Wacom fan here. Love using it for image processing…primarily adjustment brushes.

This is an excellent image of the Kite with a meal no less. Detail is great, sharp, (That 300mm lens is awesome) and nice positioning in the image too.

Hi Diane
I am glad to see the Kite has included some grains with his lunch to make this into a balance meal. The photograph has a nice balance of color and sharpness against a blue shy. I really think the eye and beak came out very sharp.
Peter

Excellent detail in the Kite and its prey, Diane. Nice light as well. A good one to rescue. I wish I had the guts to go back and do a deletion rampage, but it’s too easy just to leave the old files on the hard drives.

1 Like

A nice look at a bird I hope to see someday. Good light and detail and nice bonus with it having some prey.

Good job on reprocessing this image. It is nice and sharp with excellent detail. The rodent is a big plus. The only thing that would improve it would be a lower angle of view but there’s nothing you can do about that.

I can’t help but feel sorry for the prey, Diane. I have that camera and lens with the 1.4 as well. Just haven’t had anything like to pose for me. I also have found myself wondering “why” on some of my settings later. I think it is because I have accidently bumped something and didn’t bother in the excitement to check everything before holding down on the shutter. Still a great shot you got here.