Landing

One more Kite Picture. After this one was attacked and knocked off it’s perch it came back and landed in the same area of the tree and gave me a few more chances to photograph it. I filled a 32 gig card.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback is very welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7D, Canon 300 f4/1.4x teleconverter, 420mm, 1/750, f5.6, ISO 400, tripod

Richard:
Good job on the exposure. The pose and wing position is quite pleasing. Action is good. That said, the main issue for me is the setting. There needs to be some separation on the focus between the bird and background. The image is too busy with everything being in the same plane of focus. I get that you don’t have control over the bird. But keep trying.

Great to see a non-static bird shot. You caught the action and handled the difficult light well. One thing I am missing is the black point in the image, I feel there could be more of a contrast range. Cropping a bit and adding a vignette might help to overcome David’s objection

The busy background doesn’t really bother me that much, Richard. I do wish you’d had a bit more shutter speed as the feet are pretty blurry and it looks as if there’s just a bit of blur on the head. I don’t think it’s depth of field because the perch looks sharp and so do the tail and wings. I could see playing with the relative exposures of the Kite and background to give it a bit more separation.

A great opportunity. I do think bringing the black point down would help – it might be too much for the tail and the curve could be masked in that area. Possibly toning down saturation on the BG a bit would help the bird stand out more.